On November 26, Grand Canyon National Park re-opened historic Verkamps Curios as a combination visitor contact station and retail outlet. Verkamps Curios had previously been the longest-running family owned concession in the National Park System before selling their operation and facility to the National Park Service earlier this year. The stately building sits on the edge of the South Rim in the Historic Village District. With its command view of the Grand Canyon, quality merchandise, and cozy fireplace, Verkamps Curios attracted tourists for over one hundred years.
The NPS will use its new facility to provide visitor information by way of interpretive rangers and the wide use of exhibitory. The retail outlet will be operated by Grand Canyon Association, a non-profit park partner that has been assisting Grand Canyon National Park in the areas of education and scientific research since 1932.