Watch for Signs and Symptoms of Heat Strain
Dizziness or lightheadedness (first noticed when standing up), nausea, irritability, headache, blurred vision or loss of peripheral vision, ringing in ears, clumsiness, misplacement of tools, shaky hands, vague flu-like symptoms, and fatigue.
If you see these signs in yourself, a friend or other hiker:
- Cool off with water
- Rest in the shade
- Drink fluids
- Eat food
- Check resting recovery pulse rate to assess the level of cardiovascular strain.
- Continue walking only when all symptoms are gone AND resting pulse is below 90 bpm.
Monitor for These Signs of Heat Strain
- A resting recovery heart rate of greater than 110 bpm. Sit down in the shade, wait 30 seconds, then take a pulse for one minute. Do this check every 1/2 – 1 hour.
- A sustained working heart rate that is >180 bpm–age = [ ].
- An axillary or oral temperature is greater than 99.4 F.
- A daily weight loss > 1.5% indicates significant dehydration.
- A sitting to standing pulse increase of >20 bpm and other signs or symptoms of heat strain indicates significant dehydration. Wait 2 minutes after standing up before measuring for this change.
- PATENTED, DOCTOR-CREATED FORMULA - Born on a relief mission, DripDrop ORS was created by a doctor and formulated with a patented mix of electrolytes &...
- ORS ELECTROLYTE POWDER - DripDrop is an ORS, a medically-recognized, optimal way to treat the signs of dehydration. As an ORS, DripDrop provides...
- 3X THE ELECTROLYTES & ½ THE SUGAR OF SPORTS DRINKS - Formulated to address the signs of dehydration relief fast without the sugar and stickiness of...
- GREAT FOR SIGNS OF DEHYDRATION CAUSED BY WORKOUT, TRAVEL & HEAT EXHAUSTION – Stay hydrated and recover faster from dehydration with the formula...
- TASTES GREAT - DripDrop ORS’s 8 flavors taste fantastic and offer dehydration relief fast.
- When you sweat, you lose more than water. Replace what has been lost with Gatorade
- Gatorade Frost has a light, crisp flavor that hydrates better than water, which is why it’s trusted by some of the world’s best athletes
- There's more to sweat than water. To properly rehydrate and refuel, you need to replace lost fluids, electrolytes and carbohydrates
- 76.5 Ounce Powder makes 9 Gallons
- Frost Glacier Cherry flavor
- Kit measures approximately 6 x 8.5 x 1.5 inches; accommodates 1-4 people for 1 day
- Coated nylon outer bag with a waterproof inner plastic storage pouches work in any weather
- Contains a wide array of medications to treat pain, inflammation, and common allergies
- With supplies organized into injury-specific pockets, anyone can give fast and effective first aid
- Wide elastic bandages to help manage and support fractures and sprains
- Emergency Care: A total of 299 essential first aid supplies for treating minor aches and injuries
- Set Include: Adhesive fabric and plastic bandages, antibiotic ointments, BZK antiseptic towelettes, burn cream packets, aspirin, ibrufen, gauze roll...
- Convenient Packaging: Fabric case with clear plastic pockets for organization and easy access to first aid supplies in an emergency
- Compact and Spacious: Two separate layers with individual compartments make retrieval easy and quick
- First Aid Care Ideal For: First aid care for home, travel, and on the go use
- Small, rugged, lightweight satellite communicator enables 2 way text messaging using the 100 percentage global Iridium network (satellite...
- Trigger an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center (satellite subscription required)
- Access downloadable maps, U.S. NOAA charts, color aerial imagery and more by using the free Garmin Earthmate app and compatible devices
- Optional inReach weather forecast service provides detailed updates directly to your inReach Mini or paired device, basic and premium weather packages...
- Send and receive inReach messages through compatible Garmin devices, including connected wearables and handhelds. Display resolution: 128 x 128 pixels
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API