Grand Canyon & Flagstaff
- Grand Canyon Outfitters – (928) 638-2262 Convenient location, the camping section inside the Canyon Village Marketplace rents and sells equipment and backpacking supplies. Delaware North is the concession, and they have a page showing what they rent, prices, and rental policies.
- Aspen Sports – (928) 779-1935. Located in historic downtown Flagstaff at 15 North San Francisco Street. They sell backpacking, camping, river, climbing, and fishing gear, as well as clothing and footwear.
- Babbitt’s Backcountry Outfitters – (928) 774-4775. Located at 12 E. Aspen Avenue in historic downtown Flagstaff. They rent and sell an excellent selection of backpacking gear and books and maps.
- Mountain Sports Flagstaff – (928) 226-2885. Located at 24 N. San Francisco St. in historic downtown Flagstaff. They don’t have rentals but do sell quality Patagonia clothing and regional books.
- Peace Surplus – (928) 779-4521. Located at 12 W. Route 66 in historic downtown Flagstaff, you will find tents, backpacks, sleeping bags and pads, lanterns, and stoves for rent. They also sell a wide variety of excellent quality backpacking, climbing, skiing, and fishing gear and clothing. I must admit to a personal preference for Peace Surplus for rentals and supplies. Their prices are very competitive—often matching or beating Amazon. Their service personnel is extremely helpful as they are themselves outdoor enthusiasts who USE the gear! If you need a pair of boots, here is a place for the best fitting possible. Ditto for any other piece of gear. Highly recommended.
- REI – Flagstaff – (928) 213-1914. Located at 323 South Windsor Lane in Flagstaff.
- Snow Mountain River, Inc. – (928)-774-1461. GREAT store! This is different from the others listed as it is a combination of new and used equipment and an outdoor clothing store. It is completely different than other retailers that I’ve seen selling used items. It is set up very nicely and doesn’t have junk. They also take consignment. A nice location near Northern Arizona University and the Target store in Flagstaff with plenty of parking – highly recommended!
Phoenix and Valley of the Sun
- Arizona Hiking Shack – The Arizona Hiking Shack features a full line of hiking, climbing, camping, and outdoor products. They’ve been in business for over 20 years and have high-quality gear and knowledgeable staff. The Arizona Hiking Shack has moved from Cave Creek Road to their new location at 3244 E. Thomas Rd. in Phoenix—much closer to Sky Harbor Airport! Their rentals are very reasonably priced.
- Cabela’s – Although Cabela’s is geared more towards hunting and fishing, they do have some backpacking gear and excellent footwear and outdoor clothing. Cabela’s is located at 9380 W. Glendale Ave. in Glendale, and the store is HUGE!
- LowerGear Backpacking Center – Here’s a service that is unlike any other that rents equipment. While they do have a retail store in Tempe, AZ (Phoenix area), this is just an off-shoot of their primary business which is primarily renting quality backpacking and camping equipment. However, they differ dramatically from the other businesses because they ship your rental equipment package to your chosen location or you can pick it up at their Tempe location. If you choose their shipment option, it includes automatic shipment in both directions! Check out their site for all the details.
- REI – There are two store locations in the Phoenix area: Chandler and Paradise Valley. They have an extensive selection of clothing, footwear, equipment, and books and maps. They also rent high quality equipment.
- REI – Located at 160 W. Wetmore Rd in Tucson, REI has an extensive selection of clothing, footwear, equipment, and books and maps. They also rent high quality equipment.
- Summit Hut – Summit Hut is a wonderful store that stocks almost all that you need. I first shopped at Summit Hut in 1983, but I can tell you that it was a much smaller store back then! They have two locations in Tucson as well as an online store. Their staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and the store is very active in providing great classes and presentations.