In my studied opinion, there is no greater month to hike in the Grand Canyon than April. Here are my top ten reasons for drawing this conclusion:
- Wildflowers and trees are in bloom in the inner canyon.
- Too early for wildfires and controlled burns = clean air, ahhh!
- Park employees are fresh and eager after the holiday dip in visitation.
- Condors and other wildlife become more active.
- The summer throngs are still months away.
- Triple digit temperatures have yet to arrive.
- Springs and seeps are more reliable for backpackers.
- The thawing snow pack keeps the trail dust down.
- Taking heart in college kids who chose GC over Cabo San Lucas!
- Feels great to burn off the winter pudge!
So what are you waiting for? Grab your gear and head down your favorite trail. These are the days!